This is a list of websites with useful information for hitchhikers.
Digihitch is a complete web portal devoted to hitchhiking, with thousands of members around the world and new, original content every day. The site receives over 40,000 visitors each month. Digihitch.com has many different areas of information to: showcase new stuff, help travelers prepare for a trip, or to allow registered members to share stories and articles.
- Great Campfire Forums - Discussion forums with thousands of topics on everything related to hitchhiking, including forums on road culture and regional travel. People new to hitchhiking can get help in our Sparkies forum.
- digihitch World - Map-based navigation of worldwide hitchhiking resources. Click on a country or sub-region to view its stories, links and discussion groups. Members can also vote for each region based on 5 key points (including affordability, safety and 'hitchhikability')
- Encyclopedia of Road Sub-Culture - Includes hundreds of biographies, song lyrics, travel terms and movies. Favorites include our Hitchhiking in the Movies section- listing all movies that have hitchhiking- and Celebrity Sub-culture, with a listing of actors, musicians and other notables who have been on the road.
The Worldwide Database of places for Hitchhikers, also known as the Hitchbase, is a database where hitchhikers can seek for good places to hitchhike. Most entries are in English, but some entries are written in German. Updating information is not very easy, but for tips in hitching Finland it's unbeatable.
As of August 2006 it includes 28 countries, Germany with 146 places, Finland 82, and Sweden 28, France 18.
HitchhikersHandbook is a fast growing resource the offers hitchhiking advice, tips and hints, as well as lots of information about budget travelling. The site also runs a weekly travel photography and travel writing competitions for all those looking to get their work out there
The hitchwiki is a wiki dedicated exclusively to hitchhiking and contains a lot of useful information about a lot of countries, cities, towns, but also about hitchhiking in general. More than 500 articles, and as of September 2007 also versions in French, German and Spanish.
Liftershalte.info is a world map, showing good and bad hitching spots. Everyone can add places that he knows, so it's a fast growing, useful source for finding good spots.
Suite 101 is a sort of on-line magazine which ran a monthly hitchhiking column from October 1996 to February 2003. The columnist, Bernd Wechner, ceased writing for Suite 101 in 2003 and the archive at Suite 101 itself has fallen into an embarrasing state of disrepair since. All the same it is available at:
Bernd Wechner has however archived all the articles written for that column on his own site and Morgan Salman Strub has archived them on digihitch along with a wealth of other material from many contributors.
Hitchhiker's guide to EuropeEdit
Hitchhikers' guide to Europe is a website by Kirsi Jokisalo with tips about hitchhiking in several European countries: Hitchhikers' guide to Europe
www.hitch-hiking.org is a great site in English and German language with lots of information about hitchhiking in general, legal issues and dozens of funny anecdotes about hitching.
Velabas - A Narrative of Hitchhiking and Vagabond Travel Around the World A personal website that offers insights about hitchhiking travel, slowly becoming a database of one person's personal experiences.
In the NetherlandsEdit
- Hitchhiking in the Netherlands (Ad-Hoc-Carpooling), a nice website by Frank Verhart
After the first year there were more than 200 members signed on the website, about 100 articles about hitchhiking posted to the site and a working bulletin board for discussions. The community organizes gettogether meetings, though irregularly, and there has been interest to the community by the local media.
- Hitchhike info on Anarchopedia, wiki and available under the GNU Free Documentation License (which is compatible with this wiki).
- Abgefahren e.V. - the first german Autostop Society; ideas, tips, projects,..
- Samferda.net - the first and only hitchhiking website in Iceland. Available in icelandic, english and deutch. You don't have to register as a user so it is easy to use.